Admissions Texas, U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas
Attorney ad litem
J.D., magna cum laude, Loyola University School of Law, New Orleans, LA: 2012 (GPA 3.6)
Awards: Crowe Scholar; Finalist and Outstanding Brief Award, 19th Annual Duberstein Moot Court Competition; Phi Delta Phi Antonio E. Papale Award Recipient; and Law and Excellence Award (for highest grade in Contracts, Property and Law & Medicine).
Van received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, where he served as member of the Loyola Law Review and was designated a William L. Crow, Sr., Scholar. Van competed in Moot Court and was a brief writer for Loyola’s Bankruptcy Team, where he received the Outstanding Brief Award at 19th Annual Duberstein Moot Court Competition at St. John’s University School of Law. During law school, Van served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Judge Ivan L. R. Lemelle at the United States District Court and earned Law Excellence Awards in Contracts, Property and Law & Medicine.
Van is a member of the Texas State Bar, The Texas Bar College and is licensed to practice in all Texas courts.
Scholarships: Recipient of the Warren E.W. Mouledoux Memorial & LaNasa-Greco Providence Law and Philip & Mary Collins Law Scholarships.
Student Organizations: Law Review, Moot Court Staff Member; 2010-2011 Moot Court Bankruptcy Law Team,
Brief Writer; St. Thomas More Inn of Court; A.P. Tureaud Chapter of the Black Law Students Association; Volunteer
Income Tax Assistance Program, Intermediate Certified Tax Filer; and Sports and Entertainment Law Society.
B.A., Sociology, University of North Texas, Denton, TX: 2008 (Dean’s List Spring 2008 and Fall 2008)
Publications and Presentations
• Forfeitures and Involuntary Terminations of Texas Entities (Teaching at Accredited CLE Activity, November 19,
• 2014 Captivate Conference Workshop, Equity Crowdfunding and the JOBS Act (October 24, 2014);
• Texas Supreme Court Limits the Rights of Minority Shareholders, Ritchie v. Rupe (Teaching at Accredited CLE Activity,
September 23, 2014);
• Will the JOBS Act Jump-Start the Video Game Industry? Crowdfunding Start-Up Capital (December 2, 2013).
Completed Work published in 16 TUL. J. TECH. & INTELL. PROP. (2013);
• N. Burl Cain Warden v. Ahmad Beck, U.S. Dist. Ct. Ed. La. Case 2:09-cv-06113-ILRL (August 2011);
• CyberSecurity in the Cloud: Virtual Data Rooms—Part II (February 28, 2014) and
• Assignability of Licenses in Reverse Triangular Mergers: An Update (Teaching at Accredited CLE Activity, May 14,
Memberships & Civic Activities
Texas, U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas, State Bar of Texas, The Texas Bar College, Collin County Bar Association, ABA an d
Business Law Section, J.L. Turner Legal Association; UNT Dallas College of Law Louis A. Bedford Jr. Mentorship
Program, Mentor (January 2015 – 2016); UNT Dallas College of Law, Affiliate Professor (December 2015 – February
2016); TMCP Dallas Save-the-Date Reception Committee, Committee Member (May 2015 – July 2015); and ABA
Judicial Division Standing Committee on Diversity – Outreach Program (Judge Barefoot Sanders Magnet High
School), Volunteer (February 2013), Dallas County Dispute Resolution Center August 2018 Mediator of the Month